Wednesday 23 July 2014

La Grotte du Grand Roc

Today I went to a cave, which is called 'La Grotte du Grand Roc'. It was very stalagmitey and very stalactitey. I've been to a cave with Stalagmites and Stalactites before though, so it wasn't as exciting as it could have been. I didn't remember it all too much though, so it was nice, and it's very pretty. It certainly wasn't boring. I did get annoyed at the whingey little kids though. I hate summer holidays because as much as I like children, I don't like children that don't shut up, even when their parents are halfheartedly directing the occasional 'Shh' at them. It's all well and good if you don't care/can still understand what the tour guide lady is saying, but I'm not French, so I have to pay a fair amount of concentration to be able to understand, and your whingey little kid is making that impossible. (But don't worry if you're not French, they give out a little transcript in English of the tour... I just wanted to hear it in French..)



Anyway, it was still really good. If you're ever in the area I would recommend you go and see it. I don't think it's very expensive, but I didn't have to pay to get in because I work for Amandine at the campsite, so they'll let me in for free so that I can tell everyone to go and visit :D




I took quite a few pictures, despite flash not being allowed. Because I have my lovely new DSLR, it can take dark pictures without a flash without too much problem, but obviously because there's not enough light, the shutter speed slows down a lot and it means you have to stay really really still otherwise the picture will end up blurry. A lot of pictures ended up a little blurry xD



It didn't take too long. I was lazy today, and didn't get up for ages. By the time I left the campsite it was about 2:00pm, and I was out of the cave before 3:30pm. It's quite a small cave. It's also cool inside (temperature-wise). Marie told be to take a cardigan or something, but I'm English. It wasn't really cold at all. It was just cool in a lovely, refreshing way. It is quite hot outside though.




Anyway, that was my lovely trip into a cave. I'm hoping to go to the Grotte de Font de Gaume before I leave because that's the really impressive one with cave paintings, and one of the only ones that is still open to the public, but has relatively restricted access (there's a limited amount of people that can go in per day, so you have to get there and queue at around 7:30~8:00am ish).

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment