Monday 23 June 2014

Booking Flights to Japan

So I did it. I just did it. I booked flights to Japan. I used STA Travel, as a few other students from my university have used them to book flights - they do student rates, etc. so it seemed like a safe bet. There's a couple of STA travel shops in Norwich, so it's a name I trust well enough. My actual flight has been booked with Emirates who will give me a 30kg weight allowance. I also get free meals and drinks during my flight. I also only have a 2 hour 45 min wait in Dubai (as apposed to an over 7 hour wait for £30 less - I made my choice!!). I'm flying from Heathrow Airport because it's easy to get to from my mum's house - I just need to take a bus - so that saves on train fares and struggling across the London Underground. The bus is 24 hours so it doesn't matter when I check in - though my flight is at 2:15pm so I don't have some kind of crazy check-in time. These are all important things to be considering when booking a flight.

In total, my flight came to £460.96. That's one way. It hurts, but it's a necessary evil. I had to buy a discount card in order to get the student rate flights which were a lot cheaper. It's an International Student Identity Card (ICIC) and it cost me £12 from STA. Apparently I'll need to send off proof of where I study, but I should have plenty of that laying around. I'm still worried I've done something wrong though. Oh well. Maybe I should have waited until my VISA was sorted, but I feel like leaving it too long is just asking for the prices to increase. I'm sure that I will be going to Japan, and I've done everything necessary to be going so far, so there's no need for me to worry. It's just very expensive. I had the same worry when I booked my flight to France, and that turned out fine, (even if the trains didn't, thank you SNFC strike...)

Anyway, that's all I have to say on my flight booking for now. If you have any questions about what I did, etc. feel free to ask me!

1 comment:

  1. you shouldve got the 7 hour layover in Dubai... its a great airport LOL

    lets really hope you dont have any problems with your VISA now eh?

    ReplyDelete