Thursday 11 September 2014

Sim cards, mobile phones, and other important Japanese gadgets.

One frequently asked question that always seemed to pop up back in England was about Japanese phones and sim cards, and we could never find any solid information about them online. This question remained unanswered, and all of the other students I met at Ryukoku had no idea either, so I thought I'd write about how we acquired sim cards/mobile phones in Japan!

One of the best things about being in Ryukoku accommodation is the tutors. They're here to help us and be generally lovely, and they were really helpful in finding sim cards. Essentially, they took us into kyoto, listened to all of the Japanese that was being said very quickly at us about phones and sim cards, and put it into slower, simpler Japanese. Because unfortunately (sometimes), English isn't a thing. After walking to Inari train station and catching the train to Kyoto (yes, I know I'm in Kyoto, but I mean Kyoto Kyoto. The middle of Kyoto. Y'know), we left the station and went to the Yodobashi Camera, which was like a massive department store! When we got there, we went to the back of the shop (on the same floor we came in - there were several) where there seemed to be different mobile networks represented. We were helped by a handsome Japanese man, and separated into two groups - those that wanted a new mobile phone for in Japan, which could be taken back to our home countries and used, and those who just wanted a Japanese sim card. Since I only recently spent a fair amount of money on a new Nexus 5, I knew I just wanted a new sim card for it, rather than a new phone. Out of the people who chose to sort their sim stuff that day, four people chose to get a new sim card, and five chose to get a new phone.

The four that chose getting a new sim card were given a few options - but realistically, only two:

1. For those without credit cards, you could pay 3580 yen per month (around £21) and receive 1GB of data. No calls, nor texts.

2. For those with credit cards, you could pay 2480 yen per month (around £15) and recieve 5GB of data, and SMS (though we still dont know how many SMSes we get, but everyone uses LINE - which is a bit like whatsapp - anyway so that doesn't matter)

It is obvious which one was the better deal, and nobody really wanted to settle for a higher price with much, MUCH less, however, two of us didn't have credit cards, so in the end we had to pair up, and arrange to pay those with credit cards for our contracts, which will last for just the year, which is perfect. It is a Docomo sim. When we went to pay for the sim we had to pay 3640 yen, so everyone has assumed that that is for the first month of the contract, and an additional cost for the actual sim.

Those who wanted phones were given a Huawei, and pay just over what we do, but I am unsure of the exact tariff. They only get 1GB of data, though, but they get SMS just like us. But like I said, everyone uses LINE anyway. Also, it's all LTE, 4G internet, which is fab because I have never had 4G before because I'm on Vodafone at home and vodafone are pants.

(Once we got home, we had to register our sim cards on the website, and put in APN details into our phone, and enter credit card details online,



After sorting the sim cards out, we went to find ethernet cables in order to be able to get internet access in our rooms. I chose the turquoise one because I love turquoise :). There were a few different colours, lengths and sizes. I got a thin, turquoise 5m long cable (so that it could definitely stretch to my bed). I love it, but I will leave it behind for next year's UEA student so they don't have to worry about buying one :) You're welcome!
After that, we were given some free time to look around the store (I have since gone back and realised we barely covered any, and that I missed the best sections - Games, and anime figures/collectibles etc.). and we bought a kettle (for pot ramen!! - and tea, but I dont drink tea) and a rice cooker! My first rice cooker! Me, Jiji and Saara (a girl from Finland) are sharing the kettle and rice cooker because it is cheaper that way and we all live on the third floor. I'm pretty sure we will be passing both of these down to next years UEA students too. Lucky you! So now I know how to make the rice cooker function. It's pretty good. It's so much easier than standing around a pan. I think I want one in England. Haha!

So that was my first trip to Kyoto and to Yodobashi Camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment